How to declare a major or minor in music

Every student wishing to declare a major or minor in music must officially declare the major or minor and be assigned an advisor through the Department of Music office. To officially declare a major or minor, please schedule an appointment with the chair of the Department of Music.

Schedule an appointment

About advising as a major or minor in music

Advising is the joint responsibility of the student and the assigned faculty advisor. Although this responsibility is shared, it is ultimately the student's responsibility to seek the assistance of his/her advisor and to utilize the information contained within the Undergraduate Catalog, this Guidebook, and the appropriate Student Program Notification and Evaluation Form. Students minoring in music are jointly advised by their primary advisor and the Chair of the Department of Music.

The Chair of the Department of Music, prior to the pre-registration period, provides further assistance with advising and registration. This meeting is dedicated to helping students with the planning of their course schedules for the upcoming semester. All Registration Forms require the signature of the assigned faculty advisor and the Chair of the Department of Music before registering. The information listed below will help the new music student to get started.

To enroll in excess of 18 credit hours of course work, students are required to obtain special permission. Permission is customarily granted to students who are in good academic standing. Prior to enrolling for an overload, students must seek permission from the Chair of the Department of Music and the Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities.

  • All new and transfer students planning to major or minor in music must audition for the music faculty on the principal performing instrument or voice and be evaluated and advised for placement in a program prior to the their first semester of study.
  • In the fall semester of the Freshman year, students must enroll in courses in Area F of the Core Curriculum: MUSC 1000 Comprehensive Music Laboratory, MUSC 1301 Music Theory I, MUSC 1401 Aural Skills, MUSC 2600 Principal Applied (Performance majors: 2 credit hours; Music Education and Composition:1 credit hour), MUSC 1501 Keyboard Skills, and the large ensemble appropriate to the major instrument or voice.
  • Students must register for Principal Applied (the principal performing instrument or voice) each semester offered until the appropriate number of credit hours have been earned in MUSC 2600 and MUSC 4600. Students enroll in Principal Applied at the 2600 level (Freshman and Sophomore), and after successful completion of the level-change examination, 4600 level (Junior and Senior).
  • Students pursuing two degrees must meet all of the requirements for both degree programs.
  • Music majors enroll in MUSC 1000 (Section 01) Comprehensive Music Laboratory each semester except for summers and the semester of the internship, either until they have completed 6 semesters of satisfactory attendance, or until graduation if they have earned an S grade for each fall and spring semester enrolled. Transfer students may transfer equivalent Comprehensive Music Laboratory credit earned at other institutions, if approved by the Department Chair.
  • Passing the Keyboard-Skills course sequence constitutes keyboard proficiency (i.e., MUSC 1501, 1502, 2501, 2502). Students must enroll in Keyboard Skills each term offered for a minimum of four semesters and until successful completion. Credit for courses in the sequence may be obtained through examination. Credit by examination for any course must be validated by the course's faculty and processed through the Music Office and the Office of the Registrar. The requirements for each proficiency level are included in the various Keyboard Skills course syllabi.