Applying for Financial Aid
Federal Financial Aid
Federal aid can include Pell Grant, Direct Student Loans, and Federal Work Study. You will need to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). To have your FAFSA information sent to UWG, you will need to include our school code: 001601. The short video below will help explain the types of aid and completing the FAFSA. The FAFSA is used to determine a student's financial aid eligibility for one aid year and must be renewed each year.
The 2021-2022 school year is just around the corner. Complete your 2021-2022 FAFSA starting October 1, 2020! You will be required to use 2019 tax information.
The 2020-2021 FAFSA became available on October 1, 2019 (For Students Enrolled for Fall 2020). You will be required to use 2018 tax information for this FAFSA. How does that benefit you? Since you've already filed your 2018 taxes, you'll be able to transfer your tax information into your FAFSA directly!
When completing your FAFSA, don't make these 12 common mistakes! 12 Common FAFSA Mistakes
The FAFSA can take 7-10 business days to be processed by the U.S. Department of Education and sent to UWG. The Department of Education may select you for a process called "Verification". If selected, you will be required to provide additional documentation before a financial aid award offer can be made to you. You will be notified via your myUWG email account of any documents needed. You can also check your OneLogin account for outstanding requirements by following these steps:
- Visit the UWG OneLogin Portal
Search for “Financial Aid Verification” in the Search box and click the ‘Financial Aid Verification’ Tile.
Sign in to the new screen with your full OneLogin email address and your OneLogin password.
If prompted to confirm your information, please enter it exactly as it appears on your FAFSA.
- Complete any outstanding documents
Any outstanding documents should be sent to the Financial Aid Office by the priority deadlines listed below:
- Fall semester - July 1
- Spring semester - November 1
- Summer semester - April 1
State Financial Aid
The state of Georgia offers the HOPE & Zell Miller Scholarship to eligible students. To apply for HOPE and Zell Miller, complete either:
- FAFSA - this will apply for HOPE/Zell Miller, along with federal student aid programs (mentioned above). The FAFSA fulfills the application requirement for one aid year (ex.:Fall 2021, Spring 2021, & Summer 2021) and must be renewed each year to continue to receive HOPE/Zell Miller and federal student aid programs.
- GSFAPPS - this will apply for HOPE/Zell Miller ONLY. To receive federal student aid, a FAFSA is required. A GSFAPPS does not need renewing each year.
Additional inquiries about applying can be emailed to: HOPEINQ@westga.edu. For more details on the HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarship, please visit the link below.
- UWG FAFSA CODE = 001601
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- GSFAPPS (Georgia Student Finance Commission)
- OneLogin Portal